Spurring Us on to Good Deeds

I've tried for years to lose weight alone. Then, I tried again alone. I asked people to help keep me accountable. Then, I made excuses for why I was doing it wrong just this once. More than twice. Finally, in my mid-40s, I decided to get real help.

Okay, so this person, a Beachbody coach, has been gently encouraging me for months. I did well for a few weeks. Then, I kind of fell off of it. I was determined to give it all up when I faced a bunch of setbacks. Then, she sent me a message. I tried again. She added me to an accountability group, and now, I was more focused. Then, more setbacks. Another decision to forget about it.

This week, she got back in touch at just the right moment. I signed up for a 30 day trial to the workout videos. I did the easiest one I could find. No weights, low difficulty, a great idea. And about 2 minutes into it, I was so discouraged. I had to modify the modified moves. I was barely doing anything. My wrists won't let me rest my weight on my hands. My hips burned a few times. My knees can't take too many deep squats. And my toes haven't allowed me to do much for years. I'm a strong, healthy woman. Or so I thought.

Then, I thought about what I'd say to my coach about quitting. What would I say to someone else? I'd say modify whatever you need to modify, but you finish that workout. Do it all the way to the end. But this isn't even exercise at this point, I whined to myself as I did a standing pushup against a tall dresser. Almost no exercise is better than none at all.

I'm being spurred on to good deeds, as the Bible encourages us to do. I'm grateful for my coach. I hope someday, in some way, I can be that type of encourager for you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Babies - The Absolute Truth

I'll Never Do That to My Kids...

Free to Fly: A Defense of the Single Life